Saturday, March 12, 2016

Don't Knock The "Standard View" Rooms

Let me start off this post by saying... 48 days to Disney! Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity to say, "49 days... we battled that beast". That's a very sloppy paraphrase of a very funny song:




Now that that's out of my system, I wanted to briefly address some of the room types I'm familiar with at Disney. Granted, we've only stayed at Pop Century, All Star Movies, and Port Orleans Riverside so, I don't pretend to be an expert but I wanted to defend the "standard room view" (or whatever it's called). These "standard" rooms are in contrast to the slightly more expensive "preferred" or "pool room view" rooms.

Our rooms this year are "standard pool view" rooms. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not exactly sure where our rooms are but, I'm really not worried about it. We have yet to stay in a room that was in a bad area.

The best example of this is our 2009 trip to Walt Disney World when we stayed at the All Star Movies Resort. That year our room was undoubtedly a standard view. I say "undoubtedly" because from our balcony area, you could look to the right and see the main lobby area of the hotel. We had an especially good view of the Disney's Magical Express buses unloading and loading people.

At first, you might think, "Yuck. Who wants to see that?!" But Joy and I really thought it was cool seeing so many people coming in, starting their vacations; kids skipping along, completely consumed with the excitement of starting a vacation in Walt Disney World.

Here's what our view looked like:

Picture 003

See? That's a pretty cool view, I think. Parking lot and all. We really didn't care.

Plus, looking directly down to the little tree/mulch area below our door, we were greeted with the following:

Picture 065

And then, on another day, it was changed to this:

Picture 134

I really thought this was pretty cool. Maybe some guest did this, maybe a cast member--I don't know. But you know what? It put a smile on our faces. As usual, it's the little touches like this that make a "standard room" become "preferred".

Keep up the good work Disney. We'll see you soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment